Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

Characters: 5
Cover: 5
Plot: 4
Setting: 4
Writing: 5

SUMMARY
"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.



REVIEW
I was really excited to finally get this book, and the concept of it looked so intriguing and cool. When I opened it, I was immediately plunged into heart-stopping action. I wanted more from the start. The first scene opened up with a little background information on the book which kept me from getting really confused. Then, there was a fight scene between Juliet and Romeo, which was also really dramatic. Then Juliet got away, and jumped into a total stranger's car in order to get away. That car belongs to the supposed "forbidden love" named Ben.

The way that the Ambassadors of Light work is that when a person, the Ambassador takes over their body long enough to ensure that the specific person falls in love with their true love. Then the original person takes the body back. Sometimes the body isn't the one who's supposed to fall in love, but someone close to that person. Juliet takes of Ariel's body, and Romeo takes over Dylan's body. Romeo's case is a little more different. He takes over bodies whenever people die, but there's no purpose to it, other than just to try and turn vulnerable couples to his side and away from the Ambassadors of Light.

Ben and Juliet grow really close after she jumps into Ben's car. Juliet keeps her distance because she knows that Ariel, the body she took over, won't be able to love him the same way afterward, and Juliet believes that Ben is supposed to fall in love with Gemma, Ariel's best friend. Juliet is convinced that this was why she was brought back to Ariel's body.

There's a lot more technicalities that I could go into right now, but that's be spoiling too much for you, so I'm going to leave it at that. I think that the romance was great in this book, and the reincarnation quality of it really shined through. I, however, wasn't satisfied at all with the ending. Juliet's problems were solved, and Romeo's weren't, but that's what the second book that's coming out soon is for. Juliet's solution, however, I think was a really easy fix. I didn't really like how things were solved, and I felt that Ms. Jay didn't know how to give Juliet a happy ending after what went down, so she just stuck the book with an easy fix.

I'm going to tell you what the MAJOR spoilers are in the next paragraph, so be warned.

In the ending, Ben, the boy that Juliet fell in love with, dies, and I was screaming my head off when that happened, because I wondered why he couldn't have lived and he and Juliet could be together? Juliet could've gotten the Ambassadors of Light to let her tell Ben who she really was and how she worked, and the relationship would've otherwise been fine in time, after they got past that rocky part. However, Ms. Jay decided to put Juliet in an alternate universe, where Ben was the cousin of Romeo and Juliet never married Romeo and instead married Ben. I hated that, because what about our universe? Where did the alternate universes come from? I hated that, and Romeo was also plunged into an alternate universe so he could redeem himself. I seriously hated that.

Spoiler end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!