Friday, January 6, 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


SUMMARY
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

REVIEW
This cover is actually a pretty good cover, only I don't exactly understand the dress part. But that's beside the point. I was literally dying to get this book, and when I did, I was squealing and squeeing all over the house. (My brother is a witness) And this book did not disappoint my expectations. This book was absolutely awesome.

I loved the content. I loved how Juliette held up, even after being trapped for ages and ages. I loved Adam, but I found the "I've been in love with you since I was five" bit a little cheesy and overdone. You can't just fall in love with someone just like that. You need time to develop a good, trusting relationship. Besides, I wouldn't trust someone working for a bad guy that easily and without reservation. That annoyed me a little bit, but otherwise it was really good.

One praise I had was the fact that in the book, many phrases were crossed out and some repeated. I liked the effect that it cast on the book. It sort of gave me a vibe that tied in with the book just right. And think Tahereh is a really great writer, and that she should keep writing. This book was dystopian, but it had fantasy and paranormal tied in, which was something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!