Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Cover: 4
Characters: 5
Plot: 4
Setting: 4
Writing: 5
SUMMARY
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

















REVIEW
This ending was thrilling. There was so much action, so much rebellion, and everything was so fast-paced that I was scrambling to keep up. I actually did this book for one of my projects. I'd snap a picture and show you the very lame cover that I drew up at the last minute, but it's hanging in my LAL classroom, taunting me everyday.

Anyway, in this book, since I've never actually read the ending to a dystopian series until this one, I was expecting high drama and for everything to be wrapped up into one tiny neat little package. I've read conclusions to many other books that aren't dystopian, and they were all wrapped up neatly. This one, of course, was definitely wrapped up neatly. 

In this, Katniss decides who she'll end up with. I was debating Peeta and Gale because I liked them both equally, and I usually choose the guy who hasn't been the girl's best friend for a while, but I usually also choose the one who's more rebellious, who is secretly extremely tortured and actually deep and has many secrets. But who doesn't like the rebellious types?

In the end, I ended up favoring Gale a little more, just because he was the hot and mysterious bad boy who was secretly very deep. (I see it so many times in YA books, especially in love triangles, but I still love them. ;)) No spoilers in this post, so I'm going to say that Katniss's choice was very quick and was resolved near the end. I think that everything was crammed into the last few chapters that it was a little hard to keep track of everything, but nevertheless, it was still very well-written.

All I can say is that the Hunger Games movie will actually include all three books, like in Harry Potter, because what we usually see in the media world these days is that they'll make a movie of the first book, and even if that movie was great, you'll barely see the sequel be produced into a next novel. But this series really does deserve to be made into a full three-part movie production.

Five Snowflakes




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!