Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith


SUMMARY
At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight.

Meanwhile, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, Zachary, demoted to human guise as the princess’s personal assistant, has his work cut out for him trying to save his girl’s soul and plan the Master’s fast-approaching Death Day gala.

In alternating points of view, Miranda and Zachary navigate a cut-throat eternal aristocracy as they play out a dangerous and darkly hilarious love story for the ages.

With diabolical wit, the author of Tantalize revisits a deliciously dark world where vampires vie with angels — and girls just want to have fangs.


REVIEW
Okay. First of all, I heard about this when visiting other people's blogs, and happened to stumble upon this one. I thought it looked pretty cool from what I heard about it, so I got it from my local library. After reading this, I can say that I can agree that I was right. This cover is lacking a little in my opinion, and after all, that's what everyone uses as a guide if they will buy the book. I know I'm being super cliche when I say this, but some people actually do judge a book by it's cover, quite literally. Usually, a pretty book means a good publishing company. And a good publishing company means a good book. So there you have it. My crazy messed up logic wrapped up into one pretty packaged paragraph. :D

Now onto the inside part. One complaint I have about the format, not the content, was that the alternating characters were Miranda and Zachary, which means Cynthia Leitich Smith (I love writing that name!) put the name of the character who was doing the talking and in the first person in that chapter at the top of the page. I don't mean that to be a bad thing, I mean the fact that the author forgot to put the chapter numbers was excruciating because I always use chapter numbers as a guide to where I left off, and if they aren't there, I have to go to the trouble of memorizing the page number. If there was even a chapter title, I would be fine, but it was just a name: Miranda or Zachary, which was at the top of every chapter. I found this extremely annoying.

Now I am onto the content, which is really what everyone wants to know. I think this book was pretty good. I just didn't like the fact that Zachary seemed a little obsessed with Miranda. I really liked everything else, except for the summary on the back of the book. It really confused me, and I almost didn't even read it because whoever wrote the synopsis made it so hard to understand. I read it anyway, and I wasn't too badly disappointed. Just a few things aggravated me to no extent in the end, so this got three snowflakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!