Sunday, December 11, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum

 

(Warning: May be spoilery for those who haven't read the book. Proceed with caution)
SUMMARY:
When Kate Mercier’s parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life—and memories—behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate’s guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he’s a revenant—an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.



REVIEW:
Personally, I have only a few words to say about this book: Die for Me is to die for! The romance between Kate and Vincent is absolutely breathtaking. I was having lots of doubts in the beginning, since I thought Vincent had only fallen for Kate because he'd saved her life. (It's not that dramatic, really, it's more like Vincent prevented Kate from dying by telling her to move out of the way when something came falling down on where she'd been standing.) I still have that tiny doubt, but most of it has vanished, since you can obviously tell that they're in love.


That was one of the reasons this didn't get all five snowflakes, and the other reason is mainly because it was sort of slow. There were a few scenes during the first chapter of two, but then it was like a deadweight dropped onto the plot and dragged it all the way to the end. Since I'm a fan of plain romance, as well, I read the entire thing and found it enjoyable. 


The cover is absolutely beautiful, I have to say. I seriously love it, and the idea of being a revenant is quite ingenious, as well. The only problem was that I felt it didn't really play into the plot all that well. It just seemed like a speed bump in Vincent and Kate's love life. The story was really based on that, and in the end, there was another little tidbit of action that didn't really flow right in my honest opinion. I think she should've just kept it as a romance novel instead of trying to cram the paranormal part in there.


Finally, the romance was awesome, and that's mainly why I liked it so much, but I have to get out my last issue: the exaggerated title and phrase underneath. It says "Would you risk your life for love?" That didn't exactly happen. Sure, Kate tried to fight the bad guy, but everything turned out good, right? Kate got away mostly unscathed, and I was left with a sour taste in my mouth. The phrase is pretty wrong in my opinion, but again, the book is really wonderful and I seriously cried at this one point that was sad for me.


 
Three Snowflakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!