Saturday, November 26, 2011

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent


Author: Rachel Vincent
Publishing Company: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 384
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Website: rachelvincent.com
Rating:

Summary (rachelvincent.com)
She doesn't see dead people, but she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next...

Review
This book was in the back flap of the Iron Knight, so I said, "Why not?" and gave it a try. When I saw it in the library, the cover just captured me and made me borrow the book! The cover is really magnificent, and really pretty! 

Despite the lack of action that I usually crave within a book, this was really good. I loved the idea of being a banshee or bean sidhe, and how she and Nash went on quests to make sure souls are properly kept in their spots. The idea overall is really ingenious and well played out.

The problem here started very early in the book, which is really good. Many books wait until the middle to say the problem, and it's good that in this novel, they start it in the very beginning. Rachel's writing is really good, and it captured me without a real explanation. I just really enjoyed her description of everything.

But, when she described the banshee's singing, I felt like there wasn't enough there to fully support the sound. Rachel described it as "magnificent" and used a few other words. I wish she elaborated on that a little more, but it was satisfactory overall. The story felt only a smidgen undeveloped to me, but it was still better than other books I'd read. 

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading romance and fantasy. If you can get past a few very minor problems here and there, then this is the book for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and will read every last one (even if there are like a hundred, which I doubt) so feel free to comment!